Have you ever felt seriously short of good talent running your business? It may surprise you to know that you are not alone. In fact, according to a recent survey both restaurant entrepreneurs and chain restaurant executives share a common problem-difficulty recruiting managers who can run their restaurant as if they owned it. That is why it is essential to have a restaurant management consultant who can take over the helm and lead your restaurant to success.
Good restaurant management consultants have several qualities:
- They are good managers
- They know what clients want
- They respond to the demands of competition quickly and effectively
- They can weather adverse economic conditions
- They are persistent
- They know how to hire the best workers
- They have creativity and patience
- They think fast
- They are up-to-date with the latest technologies
- They are dedicated to creating the best restaurant experience
- A good restaurant consultant has honed their skills in kitchen, front of the house and institutional operations
The above qualities should give you an indication of what you must look for in your restaurant management consultant.
A restaurant management consultant can perform the following functions:
- Feasibility studies
- Business plans
- Conceptualization and repositioning
- Restaurant remodeling
- Design and development of the kitchen and front of the house
- Menu, food and bar development
In addition, they will also help you with marketing, restaurant strategy development as well as improving profits.
Hiring a restaurant management consultant is a project that requires dedication, research and perseverance.
Before you hire a consultant, you must have a clear idea of your goals. Will you be handing over the financial management of the restaurant to the consultant? Will they be hiring staff? What will be the terms of employment? Will you be hiring them long term?
You need to have a clear understanding of how the restaurant management consultant will go about their tasks. For instance, a good restaurant management contract might stipulate that their activities start with an internal operations audit, which is followed by the drawing up of a detailed action plan that will help the restaurant reach its potential. In this way, the consultant will help you raise your bottom line. That is why it is crucial to take time and hire the right persons for key roles in your business.